[FFmpeg-user] removing audio from section of video

johnd john at jjdev.com
Tue Jan 15 22:25:51 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 08:22:13PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> johnd <john <at> jjdev.com> writes:
>
> > If I want to say remove the audio from a part of a video,
> > must I first break that out then replace the audio for
> > the entire piece, then concat back together?
>
> (I find this very difficult to understand, typical
> questions on this list are: "I tried ffmpeg -i input
> -c copy out.avi - see complete, uncut console output
> at the end of my email - how can I remux only the
> video?")

I'm trying to understand things conceptually.  I am describing
a process I am trying to accomplish.

For example:

I have an input video.  At 10 seconds into the video I want to remove
audio for 5 seconds, then have the audio continue.

I am trying to understand the general steps so I can then decide
how to construct the command line args.

I was assuming (from the little I have learned) that I would
have to first cut the video into three, remove sound from the section
from 10 seconds in (duration 5) and then concat all three.

Then I'd have a file that was missing sound from the 10 second point
for 5 seconds.  (question? shouldn't it have sound that is muted as
opposed to no sound track?)

I just want to understand if this is the way it would be done (at
a high level), or if there is another process I should follow
to get my end goal.