[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg conversion of mkv-extracted video & audio to mpg container fails, hangs CPU, requires `kill` ?

darx at sent.com darx at sent.com
Wed Jun 12 23:34:02 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013, at 02:20 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Please provide the input sample that allows to
> reproduce the problem.

Unfortunately, not practical -- it's a 2.3 GB mkv.

> And while you are at it, please explain why you
> have to use mkvextract / why FFmpeg does not
> handle your mkv file: If there is a bug, we
> would love to learn about it!

I'm following the best instructions I've managed to find so far:

  Burn an mkv with mkvtoolnix, ffmpeg, dvdauthor and K3B
    http://zuzeme.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/burn-an-mkv-with-mkvtoolnix-ffmpeg-dvdauthor-and-k3b/

If there's a better/simpler procedure for 'direct' handling of the mkv,
I'd love to learn about it as well, and test to see if it eliminates
this problem.

darx