[FFmpeg-user] problem with make while attempting to build git clone of ffmpeg on OS X 10.6.8

Paul Sturbaum psturbs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 15:27:39 CET 2013

On Mar 2, 2013, at 3:03 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Paul Sturbaum <psturbs <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Please run "make V=1 ffmpeg" (without doing anything
>>> in-between) and post the output of "make V=1 ffmpeg"
>>>

>> I ran $./configure then $make then $make V=1 ffmpeg.
>> Here is the output:
>
> Thank you!
>
>> $ make V=1 ffmpeg
>
>> gcc -Llibavcodec -Llibavdevice -Llibavfilter -Llibavformat
>> -Llibavresample -Llibavutil -Llibpostproc -Llibswscale -Llibswresample
>> -Wl,-dynamic,-search_paths_first  -o ffmpeg_g ffmpeg_opt.o
>> ffmpeg_filter.o ffmpeg.o cmdutils.o  -lavdevice -lavfilter -lavformat
>> -lavcodec -lswresample -lswscale -lavutil -L/opt/local/lib -lSDLmain
>> -Wl,-framework,AppKit -lSDL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa -lm -liconv -lbz2 -lz
>
> So apparently linking succeeds in configure but not at
> the linking stage;-(
> Could you do another test?
> If you copy above line - from gcc to lz - to the command line
> (verifying it fails equally) and try to move "-liconv" around
> (perhaps in front of -L/opt/local/lib), does it succeed?

Just to be clear....  You want me to run

$ ./configure
$ make
$ gcc -Llibavcodec -Llibavdevice -Llibavfilter -Llibavformat
-Llibavresample -Llibavutil -Llibpostproc -Llibswscale -Llibswresample
-Wl,-dynamic,-search_paths_first  -o ffmpeg_g ffmpeg_opt.o
ffmpeg_filter.o ffmpeg.o cmdutils.o  -lavdevice -lavfilter -lavformat
-lavcodec -lswresample -lswscale -lavutil -L/opt/local/lib -lSDLmain
-Wl,-framework,AppKit -lSDL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa -lm -liconv -lbz2 -lz

and then try moving the -liconv flag to just before -L/opt/local/lib flag.
RIght?

Here is the out from the first set of commands:

Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Here is the output with -liconv moved to just before -L/opt/local/lib:

Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Thanks for helping me and I certainly don't mind helping you out.  Any other commands you want to test out I'd be happy to run them.

Paul