[FFmpeg-user] ffv1.3 memory overflow

Johann Rekowski johann.rekowski at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 11 06:29:04 CET 2013

On 03/11/2013 12:26 AM, Peter B. wrote:
> On 03/10/2013 09:49 PM, Johann Rekowski wrote:
>> So I tried FFV1, it encodes in one thread and produces only 10 fps,
>> instead of the requested 30 fps. I have tried several options like
>> "-threads 8" and "-slices 8". Threads was ignored and slices threw out
>> following error:
>>
>> Input:
>> ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1920x1080 -i :0.0 -vcodec ffv1 -slices 8
>> output.avi
>>
>> Output:
>> [ffv1 @ 0x25f2000] Version 2 needed for requested features but version
>> 2 is experimental and not enabled
>>
>> How do I enable version 2?
>> It seems I have to stick to utvideo codec for now.
> Version 2 was skipped, because it got superseeded by version 3 before
> its official release.
> Therefore try something like that:
>
> "ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1920x1080 -i :0.0 -vcodec ffv1 -strict
> experimental -level 3 -g 1 -slices 24 -threads 8 output.avi"
>

> Regards,
> Pb
Thanks for the help! The line really does work but it hits my memory
usage to 100% after 1 minute, using my swap area which then results in
extreme lags. It also takes up like 40% of my cpu, it's ok as long as it
doesn't go up to 60%, because then my game would start lagging.

I got 16 gigs quad channel RAM and a intel core i7 3820 overclocked on
4.4 GHz. I don't know if this is a bug, maybe it has something to do
with the slices. I can't test much right now though, because I have to
go to work now. I'll be back today evening. ;)

- Johann Rekowski