[FFmpeg-user] ffv1.3 memory overflow

Johann Rekowski johann.rekowski at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 11 16:22:07 CET 2013

On 03/11/2013 09:21 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Johann Rekowski <johann.rekowski <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> "ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1920x1080 -i :0.0 -vcodec ffv1 -strict
>>> experimental -level 3 -g 1 -slices 24 -threads 8 output.avi"
>> Thanks for the help! The line really does work but it
>> hits my memory usage to 100% after 1 minute, using my
>> swap area which then results in extreme lags.
> Please use the current release branch:
> $ git checkout origin/release/1.2
> (I reproduced your problem and it works with 1.2
> which is a few days old.)
>
> FFmpeg is currently in the biggest code transition since
> many years and bugs are expected. This is very unusual,
> sorry that you were hit by this changes!
>
> Carl Eugen

Thanks, ffv1.3 works like a charm now. Regarding the unusual changes
that are happening right now, I'm actually really happy to see them.
Innovation is what drives us, and I really like to see stuff improving.
Even if I get stumbled upon a bug, I can report them to get them fixed
one day. If I wouldn't really care about the evolvement of a project, I
wouldn't take my time to get the source and compile it, instead I would
just download it from official repos.

Let's hope for a bug-free and innovative future! :D

- Johann Rekowski