[FFmpeg-user] Fw: Mixing wav audio and mp4 video

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Feb 4 11:32:51 CET 2014

Zack Thevenot <zack924 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> So my audio files contain an uncompressed codec?

Most wav files contain uncompressed audio (they don't
have to), in your case it was:

> Input #1, wav, from 'E:\FFRProjects\proj1\Camera2\temp_audio.wav':
>     Stream #1:0, 22, 1/8000: Audio: pcm_s16le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001),
> 8000 Hz, mono, s16, 128 kb/s

FFmpeg so far thinks that is not ok to mux pcm_s16 into mp4
(it is definitely ok to mux it into .mov)
It is unclear (to me) if that is correct or not.

> Can I rectify my issue by simply compressing or changing
> the codec before I try to mix with the mp4?

Of course, aac would be standard for mp4.

> If what I want can't be accomplished, it is not a big deal for
> me to record with a different audio codec or file type.

> Is there an audio format that will mix nicely with AVI, WMV, and MP4?

No, because asf (wmv) is wma-only, and mp4 should not contain wma.
(You can put anything into avi, but not every player will like it.)

Carl Eugen