[FFmpeg-user] Desktop catpture attempt failed

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Tue Jun 10 23:08:04 CEST 2014

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 13:10:40 -0700 (PDT)
"mark_a_lee-abeng at yahoo.ca" <mark_a_lee-abeng at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I replied to the response by Carl Eugen Hoyos and realised that I sent
> using an emaial address not related to the list, so I resent with the
> correct address.

The mailing list should send an email mentioning that your message is
in the queue and provides a deleted link to remove it, but it is often
ignored so maybe I'll need to improve the message. If you have any
suggestions I would like to know.

> Could you explain "your -s and/or your x,y offsets were too large"?

If you try to capture your whole desktop, and then add some offsets to
it (such as "-i :0.0+80,91") then it will go out of bounds causing the
particular error messages you encountered earlier.

> My monitor resolution is 1280 x 800 and xwininfo gives me the following
> output (a new instance of the window but which BTW, gives the same
> failure message when I attempt a  capture with these cordinates):

Without your actual command I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

>   Absolute upper-left X:  1
>   Absolute upper-left Y:  94
>   Relative upper-left X:  1
>   Relative upper-left Y:  34
>   Width: 641
>   Height: 625
>   Depth: 24
>   Visual: 0x21
>   Visual Class: TrueColor
>   Border width: 0
>   Class: InputOutput
>   Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
>   Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
>   Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
>   Backing Store State: NotUseful
>   Save Under State: no
>   Map State: IsViewable
>   Override Redirect State: no
>   Corners:  +1+94  -638+94  -638-81  +1-81
>   -geometry 641x625+0+60

If you just want to capture the particular window that you probed with
xwininfo then:

"-geometry 641x625+0+60" translates to
"-video_size 641x625 -i :0.0+0,60" in ffmpegese.