[FFmpeg-user] FFMPG codec library

Edouard de Sauvage edouard at radionomy.com
Wed Jun 25 17:57:17 CEST 2014

Hi,

I am Edouard from Radionomy, the company who recently bought Winamp.
The app is currently under development and will be relaunched soon as a
freeware.

In the meantime, we are reviewing the licenses needed in order to use the
MP3 and AAC formats.

We were planning to use the FFMPEG library which include these formats but
we would like to get your opinion first.

Are the licensing fees for these formats also required for freeware, or is
there some sort of tolerance from patents' owners?
Also, do you have any idea how other freeware are dealing with this (VLC,
etc.)?

Could you please help us with these questions ?

Thank you very much for your help,

Edouard.