[FFmpeg-user] FFMPG codec library

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Jun 26 09:41:46 CEST 2014

Edouard de Sauvage <edouard <at> radionomy.com> writes:

> We were planning to use the FFMPEG library which include
> these formats but we would like to get your opinion first.
>
> Are the licensing fees for these formats also required for
> freeware, or is there some sort of tolerance from patents'
> owners?

This is not the right mailing list for this kind of
questions, you have to ask your lawyer (I don't think any
qualified people are posting on this list).
You can read the "opinion" (to quote you) of the FFmpeg
developers on http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html

Please find out what "freeware" means (FFmpeg is NOT
freeware to the best of my knowledge) and don't forget to
read the LGPL before distributing software based on FFmpeg.

Carl Eugen