[FFmpeg-user] Windows Media Player cannot play the file

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Mar 11 10:38:00 CET 2014

On 3/11/2014 1:25 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Spencer Graves <spencer.graves <at> prodsyse.com> writes:
>
>> This uses MPEG-1, which "due to its age ... is no longer
>> covered by any patents and can thus be used without
>> obtaining a licence or paying any fees"
> If not plain wrong, this is at least disputed, see a
> (very, very long) discussion on the webrtc mailing
> list.
>
> (This mailing list is really not the right place to
> discuss, I just wanted to explain that the quote may
> be incorrect.)

       Would you mind helping to improve this Wikipedia article?  It
received 27761 views in the last 90 days (over 300 per day), which
suggests to me that a revision citing at least the source you mentioned
would be appropriate.  However, you seem far more qualified than I to
draft such a revision or to find someone else to draft such.  It
shouldn't be a big task:  The "Patent" section of this article includes
176 words in 7 sentences with 11 references. If you prefer, I can take
charge of making the actual changes, but I'd prefer to do it with input
from someone more knowledgeable than I.

        Thanks,
       Spencer Graves