[FFmpeg-user] Adding embedded metadata to v210.mov

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Tue Aug 4 16:21:30 CEST 2015

> On Aug 4, 2015, at 9:28 AM, Kieran O'Leary <kieran.oleary at irishfilm.ie> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to add custom embedded metadata to a quicktime file via ffmpeg? In particular, I am hoping to embed a unique ID into each file in our collection, which would preferably show up in mediainfo/exiftool/ffprobe.

You could try:

ffmpeg -i  uncommented.mov -map 0 -c copy -metadata comment="your comments here" commented.mov

-map 0 will map all tracks from input #0
-c copy will state that all tracks should be copied rather than transcoded
And see around here for an idea of what metadata is supported in quicktime: http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=blob;f=libavformat/mov.c;h=154d2f83f5819298d6dbd1107d35b27d192d2117;hb=HEAD#l269.

The output file may have other differences besides simply adding the metadata. It is demuxed then muxed again to a new file, so if the input contains atoms that are not understood by the muxer than they may be missing in the output. There are some other tools that allow editing in place on quicktime by junking the moov atom and appending a new one, perhaps http://www.omino.com/sw/qt_tools/man/qt_info.html or apple's automator.

> I know very little about this stuff, but I know that some AV/image file formats are more flexible than others in this regard.

IMHO, Matroska would be more flexible for this than QuickTime.
Dave