[FFmpeg-user] hyperthreading support

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 16:10:22 EET 2016

> I am thinking about upgrading my cpu from a Core i5-4690K to a Core
> i7-4790K.

> At the same clock speed, will ffmpeg run faster with the i7?

If the i7 has a newer architecture than the i5 (I didn't check)
you can expect a (very) slightly better performance.
If the i7 has a larger cache than the i5 (I didn't check) you
can expect an improved performance.

> Does ffmpeg support hyperthreading or other features of the i7?

FFmpeg does - afaik - not contain any code specific to
hyperthreading (and I am not sure if any program contains
code specific to hyperthreading) but some decoders and
some encoders support (frame or slice) threading which
profits from hyperthreading, this is also true for the utvideo
encoder.

Carl Eugen