[FFmpeg-user] feature request/suggestion: add support for dolby vision decoding :)

Andrew Sun adsun701 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 01:07:58 CEST 2016

Phil Rhodes <phil_rhodes <at> rocketmail.com> writes:

> > It would also have to be tested against the hardware TV Dolby
Vision> decoders for conformance.
> It strikes me that if we could find examples of material that was
available in both Vision and other HDR
> formats (HLG, HDR10 etc) for which the specs are open, a stab could be
made at a reasonably accurate
> approach to transcoding.
> It further strikes me that ffmpeg could also create MaxFALL and MaxCLL
metadata if it wanted to.

You're right about the last point. When FFmpeg is compiled with the
external x265 library, it can encode HEVC not just with MaxFALL and
MaxCLL, but also with SMPTE ST 2086 Metadata, to conform to the HDR10
Media profile. FFmpeg I think can also decode HDR10 Metadata.

But we need to know how to implement the Dolby Vision decoder to decode
the full Dolby Vision bitstreams (both single layer and dual layer)
without errors to silence.

Andrew Sun