[FFmpeg-user] Samsung HT-D330K codec issue

Mike Stroud stroudmw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 15:15:47 EET 2017

Hello all,

I am having problems creating MP4s and AVIs to copy to a USB stick and
then play on my old Samsung HT-D330K Home Theatre system. I am running
Ubuntu 16.10 64bit on an HP laptop.

The USB documentation for the Samsung tell me the following:

Filename: WMV / DivX
File Extension: WMV / AVI
Bitrate: 4Mbps
Version: V1, V2, V3, V7 / DivX3.11 - DivX5.1
Pixel: 720x480
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz - 48KHz

...none of which means a lot to me!

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me: I either get
nothing at all when I plug my USB stick into the Samsung's USB port,
or I get an unsupported codec error. On a few occasions I get an error
stating that my resolution is greater than 720x480. Other times I get
really badly synchronised sound! Sometimes I can play both AVIs and
MP4s, and other times neither of them... so I'm thinking I have a
codec issue.

There must be a "generic" script that I can use to convert video files
into a format that this video player can read...

Many thanks!

Mike Stroud,
Midrand, South Africa