[FFmpeg-user] Samsung HT-D330K codec issue

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Jan 5 23:26:53 EET 2017

On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 15:15:47 +0200, Mike Stroud wrote:
> Filename: WMV / DivX
> File Extension: WMV / AVI
> Bitrate: 4Mbps
> Version: V1, V2, V3, V7 / DivX3.11 - DivX5.1
> Pixel: 720x480
> Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz - 48KHz
>
> ...none of which means a lot to me!

File extension are the letters at the end of the filename, separated by
a dot.

Filename: I'm sure they mean something else.

Version: Those are codec versions. Before the '/' probably WMV (or
ASF), behind the '/' are DivX codec versions. (It must be a very old
TV.)

Pixel: That's the video resolution (i.e. size). Whether maximum or
exact is not clear.

Bitrate: exactly that. Presumably the maximum, either for video or
overall.

Sampling frequency: The audio sampling frequency.

> I was hoping that someone would be able to help me: I either get
> nothing at all when I plug my USB stick into the Samsung's USB port,
> or I get an unsupported codec error. On a few occasions I get an error
> stating that my resolution is greater than 720x480. Other times I get
> really badly synchronised sound! Sometimes I can play both AVIs and
> MP4s, and other times neither of them... so I'm thinking I have a
> codec issue.

You can play MP4s? The quoted documentation does not say so. Well, DivX
is basically MP4, but with some restrictions.

> There must be a "generic" script that I can use to convert video files
> into a format that this video player can read...

I'm sure there are other forums discussing the exact encoding
parameters which can be used. Note that players which support only
these un-modern codecs tend to be quite picky about the videos - that
must be your issue. See threads like this:
https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2012-September/009422.html

Otherwise, you need to try to stick to those specs first: Reencode
using ffmpeg and the options:

* -vf scale=720:480 # to match to resolution requirement
* -ar 48000         # if your input is not already 44100 or 48000, check with ffprobe first
* -b:a 4M           # restrict the video bitrate to 4 Mbit/s
* -c:v mpeg4 (or -c:v libxvid, if you still have it).

Then, you may need to tune some encoding parameters, because DivX has
some restrictions versus MP4:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX#DivX_profiles
(column "Home Theater" probably). Now we're deep into expert area, and
you should find someone who has already tuned MP4 for DivX5 or for your
TV. I'm not of much help here. ;-)

If it still doesn't work with some of the hints here, show us the
command line, and let's see where else you may need to tune. I'll be
trial and error.

Cheers,
Moritz