[FFmpeg-user] Shrinking videos

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Nov 4 19:46:05 EET 2017

On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 14:21:46 +0100, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> I need to shrink my videos before uploading. And I also put a small
> copyright notice in. For this I use:
> Is this a good way, or can it be done better?

You need to be a bit more specific regarding your requirements. Why do
you need to shrink at all (does the server not reencode?)? Do you want
to preserve quality, and how much?

>         -crf 26              \

This reduces quality - which is indeed good for size. Is the quality
still good enough for you?

>         -preset fast         \

This, on the other hand, gives an advantage to conversion speed over
conversion size. It's a trade-off. If you need smaller size and have
plenty of time and CPU power to convert, use "-preset veryslow".

Moritz