[FFmpeg-user] Shrinking videos

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Sun Nov 5 13:59:24 EET 2017

Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 14:21:46 +0100, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> I need to shrink my videos before uploading. And I also put a small
>> copyright notice in. For this I use:
>> Is this a good way, or can it be done better?
>
> You need to be a bit more specific regarding your requirements. Why do
> you need to shrink at all (does the server not reencode?)? Do you want
> to preserve quality, and how much?

The most important thing is resizing the videos. I have to upload
them. And with this script the size is between 1/8 and 1/12 of the
original size.

A bonus is that I put a copyright into it.

>>         -crf 26              \
>
> This reduces quality - which is indeed good for size. Is the quality
> still good enough for you?

Certainly: I do not see a difference.

>>         -preset fast         \
>
> This, on the other hand, gives an advantage to conversion speed over
> conversion size. It's a trade-off. If you need smaller size and have
> plenty of time and CPU power to convert, use "-preset veryslow".

That was what I first used. But it took just to much time, while the
difference was not that great. I do not have to convert much often,
but previous weekend I shot a lot of videos and even with this preset
it took a lot of time. (I do some timings an share them later.)

But there are no glaring mistakes then? ;-)

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer