[FFmpeg-user] Windows 10, ffmpeg concat/demux is slow... part 2

Kevin Duffey kevinmduffey at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 00:48:50 EET 2017

If Kevin can share two reasonable sized sample files, I can try the
ffmpeg operation in my computer. Using Linux, though.

 And with sufficent memory: From RAM disk to /dev/null.

First of all.. sorry for this again.. I installed Thunderbird.. and it doesnt appear to work well if at all with yahoo mail. Then somehow it sent an email to one person on this thread, but now I am getting non stop error messages. Such a pain in the butt. Gmail works fine. Just cant seem to get yahoo configured with imap.
Anywho...

I am not sure what you are asking..exactly. You want me to upload a couple large files some place for you to download and test? I would assume.. if that is what you are asking.. any files should work yah? The files I work with are 140GB in size.. so I would need a month or so to upload two of those.

I am also not entirely sure about testing the copy process.  I did once try to use the Windows copy command and that too took a long while.  Which if that is the case, when copying two files together (using the + option) and I am doing so on an SSD.. it strikes me as a possible Windows OS Filesystem issue. My main SSD is NVMe.. write speed of 1500MB/s, so no way should it take very long to copy 300GB.. a few minutes tops.. not the hours and hours it currently seems to take.

Even when I copy over USB 3.0 or 3.1, at 5Gb/s, the bottleneck should be the recording medium. Given that the external USB 3.1 devices are typically using SATA3 interface internally, and with an m.2 ssd in it, it should still handle 250MB/s or more at full SATA3 speeds.. basically the max speed of the m.2 ssd write speed. Naturally this could vary, but my m.2 claims 450MB/s write, 550MB/s read, and SATA 3 at 6gp/s with parity.. is still approaching 600 MB/s theoretical speeds. So even if I allow for 1/2 that for any number of issues.. I would hope I could see 250MB/s or more throughput. Which on 2 x 150GB files, should still yield a copy speed of about 5 minutes or so, tops.. if not less.

So..that has me questioning.. what in the OS maybe I need to change so that copies are much faster.

I just cant imagine if ffmpeg concat copy process is relatively based on the speed of copying files, why I am stuck at 12 or more hours.. when disk medium speed wise, it shouldnt take more than 5 minutes.