[FFmpeg-user] image2 examples missing `-f image2`, can that be right?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Jan 7 23:29:25 EET 2018

On Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 12:55:20 -0800, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> Harrumph. "Just try it first" is practical advice for this project, it
> seems.

LOL. I was just referring to doubts regarding the documentation. OTOH,
some details are not or cannot be explained, so when a user poses a
complicated "how can this be achieved" question, I just try my best,
making use of experience.

> But I am still unsatisfied with the documentation. My philosophy
> of documentation is that it should be an explanation and a help, not a
> riddle.

Unfortunately, introductions and explanations are more to be found in
the Wiki than in the formal docs.

> I've filed a ticket noting some deficiencies in the documentation,
> including that there's no mention that use of a pattern in an input file
> name implies `-f image2`, and that the examples which lack `-f image2`
> do not point out that this is correct and why it works, and that there
> are no examples which include `-f image2`. See [1].

This needs to be checked - I'm too lazy to analyze the source, and
others know this functionality better by heart - but for any doc
shortcomings you are sure about, patches are truly welcome. I have
submitted some small stuff to ffmpeg-devel, and it was mostly accepted.

Developers are more keen on getting code done than on pimping existing
documentation, so volunteers are also welcome. I pretty much agree with
you that there are shortcomings in some fields.

Cheers from a former Canadian ("resident alien", lol),
Moritz