[FFmpeg-user] Fatal error when compiling: ld terminated with signal 11

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu May 17 03:17:32 EEST 2018

> Hello, I've been using ffmpeg for 3 years now, but I never had to compile
> it.
> This is quite new to me.
>
> I'm using Linux subsystem in a win10 machine.
>
> I was able to successfully compile it using the default git link on their
> website, but it lacked most libraries i needed (even x264), so I realized I
> should make a custom compile.

I don't know what the "default git link" is but on ffmpeg.org, in the
download section you can find a link to Zeranoe who provides
Windows binaries that contain "even" x264.

> Followed this guide:
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu#FFmpeg

> only adding
> --enable-ffplay \ and --enable-ffprobe \ to ensure their installation

Both are enabled by default (ffplay is only available if sdl is
available).

> Everything went fine until compiling ffmpeg itself.
>
> here is the error:

> LD      ffmpeg_g
> collect2: fatal error: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault],

This is a linker bug, it cannot be fixed within FFmpeg.

(If this is a thermal issue, try again after allowing your
system to cool down.)

Carl Eugen