[FFmpeg-user] New VVC codec issues

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Jul 16 11:31:06 EEST 2020

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 10:02:17 +0200, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> ffmpeg doesn't have support for that yet. Patch welcome. Perhaps if the
> MPEG consortium could provide a free, open reference decoder
> implementation? Just dreaming...

My bad, that Reddit does point to the Fraunhofer implementation, which
is under a BSD license (but still would need to be evaluated whether it
is "free" in ffmpeg's terms).

Anyway, still no support in ffmpeg yet. ;-) I'll have a look whether I
can manage to use the Fraunhofer tools on those files, and whether I
can convice ffmpeg to export the raw stream:

> The FFmpeg does not recognize the stream, even when i use the
> copy_unknown command it does nothing and also asks for an output
> container format ( i want the raw stream on a .bin file).

Probably with "-map 0:s -c:s copy -f rawvideo output.bin", assuming
it's recognized as a data stream(?). I will try myself. Please always
show us the command line you tried and its complete uncut console
output.

Moritz