[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg as an image streaming service?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Mar 5 12:30:49 EET 2020

On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 10:42:53 +0100, Egil Möller wrote:
> It takes at least 9 images before the sending side starts outputting
> anything, and the same on the receiving side, it takes quite a few
> received frames before it writes any images, and it writes them in
> batches. Why is this?

Is this only with your script, or also across a network?

This sounds like buffering, so I can only guess that your pipe is the
issue:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/25372/turn-off-buffering-in-pipe

Furthermore, ffmpeg parses a minimum amount of data before encoding.
You may achieve better initial times by reducing "analyzeduration" and
"probesize". (This remark may not be valid for the pipe2image demuxer,
I'm not sure.)

> Without the -framerate 1 option, no output is generated at all until the
> input pipe is closed.

I don't see why ths should be the case, but I couldn't test right now.
;-)

Cheers,
Moritz