[FFmpeg-user] What is the best way to keep ffmpeg up to date on ubuntu 18.04 (current LTS)?

bbb ffmpeg-user at bugblatterbeast.de
Tue Mar 10 18:10:26 EET 2020

Hi,

I was using ffmpeg from official ubuntu-xenial repositories and was
unable to convert a bunch of files with subtitles ("invalid, non
monotonically increasing dts").

Then I realised, that my ffmpeg was so very old, it did not include
those two fixes:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4450
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6248

When I checked out from git and build it myself everything worked fine.

So I wonder: What is the best practice to keep ffmpeg up to date on an
ubuntu 18.04 system? Is there another repo?

Kind regards