[FFmpeg-user] Understanding how to use FFmpeg on macOS

Tangier Clarke tangierc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 02:14:48 EET 2020

Hello Jim.  I’ll answer you questions or confirm your responses in order.

Yes, I am trying to isolate where the problem is because the type of video files I am using, I have been using for a long time, with the same workflow.
I am not sure that FFprobe was used in the pre Catalina version of LTC Convert.  I only say that because I have bee speaking with the developer at length by email (providing me with debug versions of the app) and he’s mentioned that ffprobe was required in the most recent build he gave me…version 6.04 didn’t require it, but 6.05 did.  Then there are shared and static FFmpeg versions; one self contained on the mac, the other containing libraries, a bin folder, and other files.
To be more specific by the way: The feature I am using is LTC Convert’s ability to take a provided Quicktime movie, scan it for Linear Time Code (LTC), and alter the timecode of the Quicktime file using the LTC.  This is used to sync with audio files from a device the provided the master LTC to the cameras.
I have been working with the developer and the response is that some files work and some don’t.  Yet I can’t possibly understand (if this is the case) why FFmpeg would remove support for AVC or H.264 video files even when wrapped as an .mov.
LTC Convert requires that it is passed a Quicktime file. I do not alter the underlying structure of the initial video file embedded in an .mts stream.  It is simply rewrapped in an .mov.  Again, I’ve been doing this for a few years with previous versions.
In previous versions though, I do not recall having to separately install FFmpeg or FFprobe.  Only the app itself.
I downloaded from Zeranoe because my communications with the developer showed me that this is the version he used or at least suggested.  I initially got my installations from https://www.ffmpeg.org <https://www.ffmpeg.org/>   I am not sure of the difference between the two.
I sent two sample clips to the developer to test because I got different results for these two Quicktime movies yet they’re the same format. I haven’t heard back yet.
The app instructions for installing FFmpeg are in the manual.  Here the are verbatim below:
I do not understand what could be causing these Quicktime movies to fail the compatibility test before the app altering the timecode.

4.3 Get FFmpeg!

You need to have FFmpeg and FFprobe installed.
If you don't have it, the application will ask you where FFmpeg is, and assume FFprobe is in the same folder. (You can also specify a different binary than default, if you want to.)

If unsure, get a (static!) binary from here:

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Unzip the file, and go into the BIN folder.
There you'll find FFmpeg and FFprobe. (Or FFmpeg.exe / FFprobe.exe)
On Mac, drag that to your Applications folder.
On Win, put it 'somewhere', run LTCconvert, and point it to where FFmpeg lives.

If the the application can't find FFmpeg:

Under the 'Setup' menu, you'll find 'Pick FFmpeg' at the bottom. Use that to point LTCconvert to the version of FFmpeg you want to use. Again, it assumes FFprobe is in the same folder, so make sure it is!

Thanks for the help.

Tangier