[FFmpeg-user] Segmentation fault for two-pass libx264, but not two-pass libx265

Laine llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 27 23:46:56 EET 2024

On Feb 27, 2024, at 9:39 AM, Ferdi Scholten <ferdi at sttc-nlp.nl> wrote:

>> Looks a bit like this trac ticket I made:https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/10164  which is stiil open after 13 months. The difference in this ticket is that it happens when doing dual pass av1 transcode with libaom. Not always with every file, but very reliably with certain files that always deliver the segfault. I can supply these files, but since the ticket does not get any attention I have not done this yet.

Thanks. I continued to work (play) after posting and it appears that I’ve found an acceptable workaround for x264. Now I’m trying “-r 29.97” or "-r 30” before input and “-fps_mode cfr” before the filtergraph. That prevents the crash and delivers pretty decent av sync, except that there’s an offset for the audio (it’s about 1200 ms late). But audio offset is pretty easy to correct, as long as the duration is right. I normally use a HEAD version of ffmpeg provided by Homebrew, but I wanted to make the environment as simple as possible to ask for help. I’ll go back to HEAD, I guess. I’m just a hobbyist. I would prefer to use x265, but the rest of my entertainment system isn’t yet compatible. Hope your libaom problem gets some attention soon.

L. Lee