[FFserver-user] live video streaming to many users ?

adminrezo.0441992b adminrezo.0441992b at ac-nantes.fr
Fri Mar 9 17:10:02 CET 2012

Hi,

today, i've been trying sucessfully a first link :
webcam plugged on a server (ubuntu-server 10.04 LTS).  /   1 customer
windows XP using VLC

I had many difficulties to obtain the stream on VLC.
in many other configurations, ffmpeg was freezing after a while, for
example using mpeg2 and mpeg4 codecs
Also ogg format did not give me good results.

Finally I could only get it working using :
format = swf
videocodec = flv
(no audio used at this moment).
pictures are 352x288 15fps
bandwidth used 150Kbits-500Kbits  (depending of the content of the movie)

ffmpeg is succesfully launched from ffserver
ffmpeg -s cif -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 -r 14 -g 10 -vcodec flv

I can see a delay of approx. 6-7 sec between an action and seeing the
result on the screen.

So my question is :
is it possible to reduce this delay ?

ffmpeg is making and encoding...
... but I wonder if ffserver is (also) making another
decoding/re-encoding ? This could be a reason of soo much delay (because
of the GOP).

So I wonder if I could reduce this delay    by  passing raw images from
ffmpeg to ffserver ?
(for the moment I try it , unsuccessfully)

Or is just ffserver streaming exactly what it receives ? So what is the
reason to declare to (video/audio)codecs in ffserver conf-file ?

best regards,

Le 08/03/2012 11:30, nandan amar a écrit :

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM, informatique lycee Pays-de-Retz
> <adminrezo.0441992b at ac-nantes.fr
> <mailto:adminrezo.0441992b at ac-nantes.fr>> wrote:
>
>     hello,
>
>     I am looking for a technical solution to make live video-streaming to
>     many users (almost) simultaneously
>
>     Because of the risk of traffic-jam on the connexion-link of the
>     server,
>     my idea so solve this risk is to create a cascaded architecture :
>
>     - 1  video-station is sending  initial stream to 1 top-level-server
>     - 10-30  2nd-level servers get the stream from the top-level server :
>     act as relay-server
>     - 20-50  3rd-level servers receive the stream from every second-level
>     server  (this makes 30 x 50  = 1500 servers) : act as relay-server
>     - customers are on the 4rth level : about 100 customers per
>     3rd-level server
>
>     second-level and third-level servers are on ADSL connexions
>
>     so I have 3 questions :
>     1) level 1 :  do ffmpeg and ffserver necessary have to be on the same
>     computer ? or is it possible to put a network-link between those 2
>     applications ?
>

> Yes This is possible.
> You can feed  video stream to ffserver  as :
> ffmpeg -i <input_video_file>
> http://<server_address>:<port_no_where_server_is_listening>/<file.ffm>
>
>     2) level 2 and 3 : is it possible to build this cascade architecture
>     with ffmpeg and ffserver ? that means create relay-servers based on
>     ffmpeg and ffserver ?
>
> This looks like bit difficult and may not be possible as ffserver
> needs feed in advance.
> So cascading may work but delay may be an issue.
>
>     3) what is the best and reliable encoding for this (video 352x288
>     10-15fps +   audio 10 kHz) ?
>
>     Thanks for any technical help
>

>  what is your streaming media type.
> If it is  normal movie 25 fps sud work and CIF (352x288) for not so
> great as HD kind of quality.
>

>     --
>     Xavier COUDIN - coordinateur informatique
>     Lycée Pays-de-Retz, 44210 Pornic, gsm 06 80 28 40 53
>

> --
>
> Amar Kumar Nandan
> Karnataka, India, 560100
> ☎:+91-9019054471
> ✉:nandan.amar at gmail.com <mailto:nandan.amar at gmail.com>
> http://aknandan.co.nr

Xavier COUDIN - coordinateur informatique
Lycée "Pays-de-Retz"
1 pl Joseph Girard   44210 PORNIC
tel 02 40 82 40 19    poste 167