[Libav-user] LGPL and Android's apk file format

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Dec 9 11:14:46 CET 2013

Kevin Kratzer <kevin.kratzer at ...> writes:

> Is it allowed to distribute an application which
> integrates the libav library and my library together
> in an archive file where it is possible to replace
> the libav libraries with a modified version?

IANAL.

Are your users able to replace the FFmpeg libraries
that you ship with (a different) one that they
compiled themselves? If yes, I don't think it matters
if you call it "static linking" or "dynamic linking"
or if it isn't 100% clear.
Or in other words: It definitely makes much more
sense to try to follow the spirit of the LGPL / any
contract than to try to proof that every word still
fits into current (changed) technology.

Please do not forget to provide the whole, unchanged
FFmpeg source code (do not just link to ffmpeg.org)
that you used together with some notes on how you
compiled FFmpeg.

Carl Eugen