[Libav-user] Reference app with ffmpeg n1.2 libs that works on IOS ?

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Sat Mar 30 19:02:47 CET 2013

On 30 Mar 2013 20:35, "Lars Hammarstrand" <lars.hammarstrand at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> If the crash is reproducible with FFmpeg, you don't need xbmc to test.
> Sounds very good, but how?  With the ffmpeg tools (ffplay, etc) as a
stand alone package directly on ios?
Exactly. This makes search for the problematic commit much easier, and also
helps to fix it.

> Question. Most implementations of ffmpeg for ios I've found so far
utilizes static ffmpeg libs (like xbcm do). Is there a known problem to use
ffmpeg as dylibs on ios?

Static libs are much easier in building, using, and debugging. Shared libs
are cool if the OS supports easy ways to reuse them, and upgrade
independently from the application that uses them, thus reducing the
maintenance efforts (e.g. when a security patch is made for ffmpeg libs).

Unfortunately, iOS does not provide such mechanisms. That's why shared
ffmpeg libs are rarely used on this platform.

BR,
Alex