[Libav-user] h264 - decode_slice_header error

Per Enstedt Per at wx3.se
Tue Sep 29 16:59:01 CEST 2015

Hello all!

I have a question regarding decoding H264 video with libavcodec and libx264.

I am decoding live rtp streams of H264 and due to network packet loss I sometimes get 'decode_slice_header error' when decoding. This shows up in my av log callback and the problem is visible as screen artifacts in the decoded picture.

However, this seems not to be categorized as an 'real' error and avcodec_decode_video2 returns a non negative value, I.e. not an error in decoding.
So how do I detect this error programmatically ?

I have fiddled with AV_EF_* flags on the decoder context but nothing triggers this as a 'real' error.

Also, is there a way to link the av logs with the encoder/decoder context it is in reference to? In that case I could just trigger on the logging output.

I am using ffmpeg 2.7 and latest libx264 build.

Br,
Per Enstedt