[FFserver-user] stream - minimize delay

Anthony Brown av at bsbc.nb.ca
Tue Mar 29 14:57:33 CEST 2011

On 11-03-28 06:37 PM, Victor Petrescu wrote:
> Sorry for double question but:
>
> You said something about change-ing the cacheing value... how do I do
> that? Both for vlc and ffmpeg?

I don't know of any caching value in ffmpeg, I think it writes to the
ffm file as fast as it can.  In vlc you can add caching control from the
command line, see: http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help

The commands are things like --sout-rtp-caching=<milliseconds> but the
exact one you will want would depend on what stream output module you
are using.  (rtp, http, etc.)

If you're using the streaming gui wizard thing, then the option is there
under advanced options or some such, bt of course you can add command
line stuff in the gui anyway.

I seem to recall that there is also a DirectShow cacjing value somewhere
in the gui, too.  You might want to dial that down as well.

As far as discovering the format of your webcam stream, you could open
the device for playing in vlc and then choose codec information and/or
statistics from the menu.

Two other silly suggestions come to mind.  I notice that in your
ffserver.conf file you have two machines listed in the ACL for the feed.
  I would try commenting out the ACL line.  It's suspicious that you can
access a feed from localhost but not from a remote host, isn't it?

The other is what version of ffmpeg/ffserver are you using.  I had to
use a fairly recent version (from ubuntu 10.04 and later from the
lucid-bleed repository).  The version in Ubuntu 8.04 didn't work right
at all for me.  If you're using something 0.5 ish you probably should
change and it might be worthwhile to roll your own, there's lots of
tutorials available on that.

A/B

--

Anthony Brown